Friday, June 08, 2007

A Knight to Remember


Last night's Summer Blitz Grand Prix was F.U.N. Fun is the only word to describe these wild 5 minute games. No chess masterpieces to be found in the 24 games played...no sir! Even if there was one with a brilliancy nobody remembers it. Nope, just the fun they had playing chess. To be honest, I got kind of roped into it last night. I had only stopped by the club to return an item to Ken and have a look at the games and have a bite to eat at the Italian restaurant near the club. Rodney Crites was going that way and offered to take me over to introduce me to the lovely ladies who work there, but wanted to know if I would join the blitz grand prix. Why not? So I handed over my money to Ken ($5 for the grand prix and $25 for the club championship) and off with Rodney to the land of spaghetti and meatballs, which turned out to be good and filling. Upon my return to the club the games started. Wow! I never realised how difficult it is to fight the clock and your opponent during a blitz game. This was my first time playing this way. I can see why the younger crowd enjoys it. Like I said, it is fun! The results? Tony Dutiel (score 5/6) finished on top, Ken Fee (score 4/6) second, Todd Forbes (score 2/6) third, and Rodney Crites (score 1/6) brought up the rear of the field. The positon below was from my game with Tony. What started out as good for white (Forbes) soon turn to excellent for black (Tony).
White to play. What are the best candidate moves? Why? Which one would you play and why?

6 comments:

Ken Fee said...

Bxf7 looks interesting, but I am not sure it works.

Ken

The Chess Club said...

Ken, I am not sure with best play 5.Bxf7+ would work. I think Black could accept the bishop and find a way out. example of play might be 5...Kxf7 6. Ng5+ Kf8 7. Qf3+ and black is ahead with Nf6. Better stil 6. c3 d5! 7. 0-0 dxe4 8. Ng5+ and black is still holding an advantage with 8...Kf8. Can somebody come up with something else?

Anonymous said...

simply castling looks like it gives white plenty of play.

The Chess Club said...

Anon, castling at this point is not the way to fight for the opening advantage nor is it necessary. Yes, White's King is safely tucked away, but at the price of giving black the initiative. 5. 0-0 is surely answered by 5...d6! freeing Black's light square Bishop and increasing the scope of the his Queen. That is a lot of compensation for a move that, frankly, is not needed at this point. Just my opinion. Let's hear another opinion. I know someone has the answer!

Dan Holmes said...

5.Ng5 seems sharp.

The Chess Club said...

Dan, 5. Ng5 is possible, though not strictly in the spirit of the position. I think Black's best response to this threat would be the answer 5...Nh6 (defending the f7 square). Further play might produce the following line 6. Nxf7 Nxf7 7. Bxf7 Kxf7 8. Qh5+ g6 9. Qxc5 which seems to return the material and the game to White's favor. However, Black has two choices 9...d6 and 9...d5. Both of these are in Black's favor. So in my opinion 5. Ng5 produces an interesting line, but ultimately doesn't give White an opening advantage.

Anyone else care to try?