Monday, June 04, 2007

Chess Club for Kids and Cash Quad Successful

I don't know where to begin? I started last Saturday just like every other before it. I fired up my notebook and did my log-in thing on playchess. Wow, Judit polgar was playing against Evgeny Bareev and this was their last game of the FIDE Candidates Match. If Judit wins we get to see some blitz games. Anything less she goes home. She draw and I was off to see how the summer program at The Chess Club was coming along.

When I arrived I was greeted by Ken Fee. He was excited about some recent improvements he had made to the club's playing areas and he explained that he had some really nice changes in the works. He had moved the main tournament playing area from the upstairs level and placed it into a large downstairs room. This room can hold 24 players, plus there are two more rooms that can be used for overflow. He has painted this room white and it will have wall to wall carpeting. Nice. Of course, he will decorate the walls in the usual way...lots of chess posters! I for one like that. Some of his plans include the Grandmaster room. This will be for the top boards in tournaments and will be appointed accordingly. Nice chessmen, wood board, upgraded chairs, etc. I think it is a great idea.

The Summer Cash Quad was underway too. Ken explained that he had only six people that showed. However, he was cheerful and stated that flexibility was an asset. So he ran a swiss instead and increased the cash prizes for 1st and 2nd. I don't know about you, but it seems tempting to enter and line my pockets with some extra cash. This would be particularly true if enough people enter for a quad. Please come and join the fun. The prize winners were Frank H. Smith (score 3/3) $60 and Dan Holmes (score 1.5/3) $30. Ashley Fulkerson (score 1.5/3) finished 3rd, Matthew Conway (score 1/3) finished 4th, Alan Neal (score 1/3) finished 5th, David Parker (score 1/3) finished 6th, and Rodney Crites (score 0/3) finished last. I am waiting on the games, as I am told that Frank Smith had a nice win.

The Chess Club for Kids program kicked off with a bang. I don't know if this great of a turn out was expected, but there was a full house. All the kids arrived eager to learn more about chess. They sat quietly during the instruction phase and they were attentive. The lecture was expertly given and the kids asked and answered many questions. This finished with an USCF rated game. These students of the game concentrated very hard and gave it their all. I believe everyone was a winner in some way. Finally, the excitement grew. It was announced that Bug House would be played for the last 30 minutes. Wow! The kids enjoyed that most of all. I heard many giggles and much laughter. I spied Ken Fee taking part and he seemed more of kid than the kids. One of the coaches, Tim Stiener, joined in the fun and this was agreeable to the kids because they could challenge the coach. Finally, a parent joined in and I must say that everyone present enjoyed their day at The Chess Club.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, frank smith here. The cash quads was great but we still need more people. I would love to have a two quads next time so the higher rated players could really fight it out. Thanks.

The Chess Club said...

Hi Everyone,
I invite you to join Frank for the summer G75 Quads on Saturday's and the Cash Quads once a month. Both of these events are USCF rated! Come join the fun!!