Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Benko (Volga) Gambit...Coker Variation

In this month's ChessCafe column Opening Lanes IM Gary Lane provides an answer to an interesting question on the Benko Gambit from one of our club's members. Laurence Coker wrote “It is amazing how there are absolutely no references to the following line in the Benko Gambit, despite the fact that in the three years in over-the-board chess it is the most frequent line I see for white (at the club level and Internet): 1 d4 Nf6 2 c4 c5 3 d5 b5 4 b3. I had to look in my Big Database to find it. I concluded that 4...bxc4 is best. Then, if white plays Bb2 at some point, black has good chances along the “b” file. Recently, I had someone put the white dark-squared bishop on d2 and I had a hard time finding anything wrong with it. I lost in the endgame. What do you suggest?”


To view the equally interesting response, click here.

No comments: